Tonight, Suicide Squad enters theaters and this is one of the most anticipated summer films this year and I was very excited to see it. My theater was packed btw and after my showing was done, there were more people waiting for their viewing times to start. However: Just like Batman v Superman (which I enjoyed and gave a B), the critics disliked Suicide Squad by a huge margin AND this film was also plagued by edit problems. With that in mind, I went to see the film and after watching my verdict is that I liked it. I would give it a B-. It’s flawed and if there wasn’t as much meddling with editing, it would have been a better film. So let’s get down to the pros and cons:
- Diverse cast
- Cast as a whole did a good job, there was definitely chemistry
- Shinning stars: Will Smith aka Deadshot, Viola Davis aka Amanda Waller (she is the Wall ladies and gentlemen), Margot Robbie aka Harley Quinn, and Jay Hernadez aka Diablo
- Loved the two cameos
- The mid-credit scene
- Jared Leto as the Joker (I didn’t really have a problem with him, however just like Jessie Eisenberg aka Lex Luthor folks are either gonna like or dislike his performance). Also Leto has mentioned that a lot of the Joker’s scenes were cut.
- The third act was the weakest part of the film, but also had some good moments.
- Weak villain (just like how some MCU films have weak villains)
- The editing in a lot of places was a bit jarring but I could still follow the story
- Some of the music used in the film was put in places where it didn’t need to be
Overall I enjoyed the film, there are funny parts, and good one liners. It’s the Suicide Squad so I was prepared for it to be dark. This isn’t Guardians of the Galaxy (thank goodness, I didn’t care for that film) and it’s not supposed to be. I’m looking forward to the next two films coming up in the DCEU-Wonder Woman and Justice League.
If you didn’t like the film, that’s cool, but don’t take those of us who enjoyed the film joy away about it. If you did like the film, great but don’t attack the critics and those who don’t agree with you. Hopefully Warner Bros. executives will stop meddling and the DCEU films will continue to improve. Until then, stay evil doll face!