Here’s another pop quiz!
- Who was a charter member of the Fellowship of Reconciliation in 1915; founded the War Resisters League in 1923 and in 1940 the Pacifist Teachers League?
- Who joined 49 other Congress members in voting against entry into World War I; was the only member to vote against World War II and organized a Brigade which demonstrated against the Vietnam War in 1968?
- Who was an organizer of the Woman’s Peace Party, a leader of American Union Against Militarism, and latter co-founded the ACLU?
- Who suggested achieving World Peace Through a Peoples Parliament – a group of 60 from different economic ranks and professions in 1944?
- Who was executive secretary of he Pennsylvania branch of WILPJ for 40 years. organized conferences and build a huge membership; served on the board of SANE, working against nuclear proliferation?
- Who attacked the Catholic “just-war” theory with pacifist views , supported draft-card burning, opposed the Vietnam conscription and war and profoundly impacted “The Challenge of Peace” in 1983?
- Who protested nuclear weapons with the Committee for Nonviolent Action in 1983, and was imprisoned where she “Prison Notes”?
- Who helped found Women Strike for Peace in 1961 which opposed the Vietnam War – the first woman elected to Congress on a women’s rights peace platform?
- Who was a founder of the Women’s Institute for Freedom of the Press in 1972 and an activist in Women Strike for Peace?
- Who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1976 with a friend for their efforts against violence in Northern Ireland?
- Who is the Canadian woman who founded Women’s Action for Nuclear Disarmament (WAND) focusing on women’s priorities as mothers and supporting continuous lobbying actions.?
- Who was founder of FREEZE in early 1980s which became SANE/FREEZE in 1987 and then Peace Action in 1993?
Quizzes Created by Margaret Zierdt, National Women’s History Project Board member