Queen Latifah is one of hip-hop’s pioneer feminists. Aside from being one of the best lady MCs of all time, she is also a songwriter, singer, actress, model, television producer, record producer, comedienne, and talk show host. Today is Queen Latifah’s 45th birthday and to honor her majesty here are some five things that I love about the Queen.
1. Throughout her hip-hop career, the queen’s raps tackled black women issues and female empowerment. From domestic violence, harassment on the streets, relationship problems, the word “bitch” and more, Latifah never backed away from discussing topics that others believed to be taboo.
2. One of the many celebrity spokespersons for CoverGirl Cosmetics, Latifah has her own line for women of color called the CoverGirl Queen Collection.
3. At one time, she managed the careers of Outcast, LL Cool J, and Naughty By Nature.
4. In 2014 she dedicated an entire episode of her daytime talk show, The Queen Latifah Show to women’s empowerment. Her guests included Melissa Harris-Perry, Lisa Price, Rita Moreno, Gloria Steinem, and Arianna Huffington.
5. She will portray Bessie Smith in the HBO biopic “Bessie.” She’s also an executive producer on the project, read more about it here.